All children in Reception and Year 1 take part in Forest School sessions once a week across 2 terms. These sessions are usually held in Wytham Woods. Forest School is an inspirational process that offers all learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees.
Forest School has six principles which we follow during our sessions:
1. Regular sessions to allow for planning, adaptation, observations and reviewing to take place over time.
2. Forest School takes place in a woodland to support the development between the learner and the natural world.
3. Forest School aims to promote holistic development, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
4. Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and themselves.
5. Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who maintain and develop their professional practice.
6. Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to support development and learning.