Communicating - Speaking and Listening
Click on the booklet for information about how children's speaking and listening skills can be developed.
This booklet has suggestions to support your child's development of mathematical understanding.
In Reception we aim to foster a love of reading. Here are some of the ways we support this in school...
- Reading, enjoying and discussing LOTS of different books!
- Reading aloud to the children every day
- Visiting the school library
- Focusing on an 'Author of the Term'
- Developing storytelling skills through a 'Storytelling focus of the term'
-Encouraging the children to make up and tell their own stories, 'acting out' their stories
Here are some of the ways you can foster a love of reading at home...
- Read, discuss and enjoy books with your child
- Keep reading to your child, even when they begin to read themselves!
- Visit the local library, encourage your child to make their own 'reading choices' - support them to be adventurous in their reading choices
- Talk about what you like to read, your favourite books/magazines/newspapers/comics
-Read everything! - Chapter books, fiction, non-fiction, magazines, posters, print in the environment, cereal packets....
-Read everywhere! - Read at home, when out and about, take a book with you on a picnic
-Re-tell favourite stories using the pictures of from memory
- Make up your own stories to tell the children
The documents below are from our Parents Phonics Meeting which takes place in November. The PowerPoint and Booklet contain lots of information about how we teach phonics at Wolvercote Primary School.